Tuesday, April 22, 2014

White Picket Fences



As a little girl, I dreamed of growing up and living in an old country house with a wrap- around porch and a white picket fence. 

I don’t know why. 

Maybe I saw one in a movie once upon a time; the scene triggering some warm fuzzy nostalgia.  Or maybe every little girl dreams of a safe place where life is simple and summertime entertainment includes catching fire flies in canning jars.

We grow up as little girls and boys not really knowing what we want, so we watch the world through eyes of wonder.  We remain full of anticipation while waiting for our prince or princess to swoop by on a white horse, sweeping us away to a place called Happily Ever After.

However, as time goes by, we come to realize that Happily Ever After lies somewhere just beyond our reach.  We long for more than a happy ending.  It’s difficult to pin down the mysterious internal restlessness within.  I believe the restlessness whispers to our hungry souls; to the untamed parts which understand we were never created to be kept safe within the confines of a white picket fence.
 
Mystery, adventure, and a healthy fear of the unknown – for these things we were created.  Should we listen to the restless voice within, it may take us to faraway places where the water is unsafe, food is scarce and people’s skin is as colorful as an array of wildflowers.  Stepping outside of our picket fences may take us to inner cities where the homeless lie forgotten under bridges.  The restlessness persists, and we are forced to choose between surrender or safety.

Our spiritual hunger causes us to press into God with all of our hearts, souls, minds and strength, trusting Him with all that lies ahead as we keep our gaze heavenward.  It is no wonder the commitment required when Paul speaks of pressing on toward the goal, “But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:13)

If we ignore the inner groaning and go about living our predictable lives, existing quietly in the safe domain of our picket fences, eventually the groaning will fade.   We may convince ourselves that this is as good as it gets as we settle on the porch swing, cup of iced tea in hand,  swinging to the rhythm of the second hand, safely waiting for death to find us.

Although this type of resignation is a possibility, here’s the good news.  It’s never too late to step outside of the familiar fences that keep us from living wild and free.  The mysterious restlessness within is silenced only when we accept the adventure, embrace the mystery, and run hard after the One who created us to live fully alive for Him, with no inhibitions.

Stay the Course...

Sheila

Today's Prayer: "Father, I pray today that You would open the eyes of my heart.  You created me in Your image, for Your glory.  I need You to show me how to live each day fully surrendered to You.  It's so easy to forget that my life is not my own.  It's difficult to understand that the plans You have for me are so much better than any plans I have laid out for myself.  Please teach my heart to trust You with the simple moments of each day; I truly long to live for You.  Break the chains of fear that confine my spirit and set me free to live in the beauty of who You created me to be.  In Jesus name I pray, amen."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete