Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spirit Mountain


To most, the mountain is known as Lazy Mountain; but I call it Spirit Mountain.

As the months slip by, somewhere between the base and the summit of the mountain, I continue to seek answers to deep questions lurking beneath the simple exterior of my being. 

The faces of others who frequent Spirit Mountain have become as familiar to me as the trail itself as we continue to pass one another; each person seeking answers to his or her own hidden questions.

Victory or defeat, joy or gloom, a gift or a chore--each person’s spirit or lack thereof  reflected in eyes, hope or despair dripping down red, sweaty faces.

No respecter of persons, Spirit Mountain demands a deep look into the true fabric of one’s spirit.  Bend upon ruthless bend lends opportunity to accept defeat or to dig deep into the recesses of the spirit and keep moving forward and upward.

Encouraging each other is helpful; but in the end it is only the grit of each individual hiker which will determine the outcome of his or her Spirit Mountain experience.

Far beyond the benefit of physical strength and endurance, the mountain calls me to the internal challenges evident only to myself and to my Maker.  Many times I am humbled as the truth of who I really am leaks out from places that cannot be hidden in the laborious tension of the moment.

There is no room for judgment on the trail.  Locked behind the eyes of each fellow hiker are sins and regrets that are accountable to only One.  Heads nod in mutual respect of one another as we carry on our individual paths.

Bonds are deep as our spirits both salute and celebrate those who answer to the call of the mountain. 

Sometimes I wonder if others return to the mountain for the same reasons that I do.  I cannot be certain, but I sense that I am not alone in my search for more.

In my own spirit, I secretly pray that my body will remain loyal to my desire to continue the quest for answers not yet found.

One day, when my body is no longer able to make the climb, I pray that joy and peace will replace fear and inhibition.  And always, I will continue to cheer for those whose  spirits, much like my own,  are set free, somewhere along the trail on Spirit Mountain.

Stay the Course...

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment