Monday, March 31, 2014

Comes the Dawn

I awaken each morning to witness the first gleam of dawn break over the beautiful Alaskan mountains. 

With the first gleam of dawn also rises hopes and dreams spoken in the dark of night from places unable to be acknowledged in the full light of day.

Just as our view of the breaking of dawn varies depending on our geography, we are all also at different junctures in this journey called life.  Whether sitting in the dark of night feeling forgotten and alone, basking in the sunshine displayed in the fullness of the day, or somewhere in the middle, we are all sojourners.

God’s Word breathes encouragement for those dark moments, “Even in darkness light dawns for the upright, for the gracious and compassionate and righteous man…a righteous man will be remembered forever.” (Psalm 112:4&6)

If you have surrendered your life to and for Jesus, you have been made righteous.  And here’s a picture of how our story unfolds: “Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father.” (Mt.13:43)

Many of us have experienced extended seasons of darkness; sometimes lasting days, months or even years.  Yet, even in the deepest darkness of night, God longs to be sought just as we long to be sought after.  He relentlessly pursues us, even when our heart’s and minds are far from Him.

As I am slowly breaking through my own lengthy journey through the Valley of Despair, my eyes are beginning to see the beauty God has planted within me while in the darkness.  Months have turned into years as I have persistently sought after Him. 

In the darkness I have learned to embrace that which is in front of me; to live in the beauty of each moment.  I have learned that there is joy in darkness.  I have learned that God is not just an important part of my life--He is my life.

I have wept, prayed, screamed, said nothing, and shaken my fists at my Father.  I have regretfully spoken words in anger, spewed from hurt places in my heart.  Always, as I have reached the end of myself, He has been at my side, never letting me go.  I have been a rebellious mess; He has been as faithful as the first gleam of dawn.

Just as the pain of night often felt like more than I could bear; I am beginning to catch glimpses of sunlight that bring my heart deeper joy than I have ever known.

Today, my prayer is encouragement to those sitting in the Valley of Despair. 

As the darkness attempts to swallow you in its icy blanket, when you feel you have nothing more to live for, when you wonder if you will survive another moment; in your darkest hour-- cast your gaze upward. 

At the perfect time, filled with freedom and joy--comes the dawn.

Stay the Course...

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment