Wednesday, October 24, 2018

You Are My Hiding Place


(I would like to dedicate this blog to those people in my life, both past and present, who have encouraged me and prayed with me through some dark valleys. Thank you for not giving up on this bedraggled believer. Let's keep fighting for one another so we can cross the finish line together.)

I had an interesting, unexpected revelation last week at the chiropractor’s office, of all places.

After taking X-rays of my neck the doctor reviewed his findings with me and my husband. “It looks like you’ve had severe trauma to your neck—can you tell me what happened?” he asked. I couldn’t think of too many things that had happened but thankfully my husband remembered circumstances from many years ago that might have contributed to my current pain. 

“Oh!” I stated, genuinely surprised to learn that trauma experienced years and years ago could have anything to do with my current situation. As the doctor continued to explain how anything that has ever happened to the physical body, even in childhood, is not forgotten, I felt a nudge in my Spirit. A lightbulb came on as I realized that the same truth spoken by the doctor about my neck was also true about the other areas in my life that were in need of healing. Those unseen areas which, when triggered, continue to cause me great pain.

What a surprise to learn that the parts of our stories which we wish to forget, or to keep hidden, are not forgotten nor hidden from our Father. It’s His desire that we bring to Him the parts of ourselves which have caused us shame, pain, or what we may believe to be irreparable damage. 

He is our Hiding Place. He is our Healer. He has not forgotten our past, He will not abandon us in our present and He will be faithful in our future.

God sees and loves our true selves--He sees both the glory and the grime.The traumas of our past (memories we remember and those we have chosen to forget) are not hidden from our Maker:

 “Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” (Psalm 139:7-12).

If like me, you have always believed that the past is best left in the past—Let me encourage you to take even that thought to your Father in the secret place of your prayer closet. Lay it at His feet—and ask the Spirit to reveal the truths which are hidden in the One who is always Faithful. His kindness and mercy will meet you. He will never forsake you.

As we acknowledge the sins, failures and hurts inflicted upon us by people in our past, He is faithful to strengthen us with a heart to forgive. In the same token we are given opportunity by the Spirit’s gentle prompting to seek forgiveness from God for those whom we have wounded with the sword of our own tongue. 

The Lord comes to us quickly when we set our prayers before Him like incense. 

Jesus, the very name which causes darkness to tremble, will heal the unseen traumas of our past, freeing our spirits so that we can step into the fullness of our adoption as sons and daughters of righteousness.

“He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.” (Psalm 91:4).

Stay the Course…


Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment