Monday, January 29, 2018

It's Not Too Late (And You're Not Too Old)

The other day as I was looking for a code I had stored in my phone to enter a building, I found a completely unrelated note I had written to myself: “It’s Not Too Late And You’re Not Too Old.”

I can’t remember the circumstances leading up to me writing myself that note a couple years ago (perhaps an indication that I am getting just a tad old!), but the personal word of encouragement came at just the right time.

If you are anything like me; not allowing our minds to conform to what the world tells us can be a challenge. However, we are instructed in the Word that we are to be in the world but not of the world. We are referred to as foreigners in a foreign land. God’s Word is full of stories of men and women who did not allow circumstances or age to stand in the way of being obedient to God’s call on his or her life.

The first book of the Bible introduces us to such a person. 

Abram (Later given the name Abraham) was a successful rancher when the Lord said, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.” (Gen. 12:1) Abram was seventy-five years old when God sent him away with this promise, “I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.” (Gen. 12:2&3)

Abram obeyed because he trusted God, but that doesn’t mean that he wasn’t afraid. When God made a covenant with Abram, He first spoke a word of encouragement: “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.” (Gen. 15:1)

Abraham was ninety nine years old when God promised to give him and his wife Sarah a child. When Sarah heard the news, she laughed to herself. Then the Lord said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, now that I am old? Is anything too hard for the Lord?” (Gen.18:13)

When life becomes difficult and dreams feel as cold as the dead of winter, our Father whispers, “Do not be afraid, it’s not too late and you’re not too old. Is anything too hard for the Lord?” 

Abraham’s life was not easy. God tested his faith greatly. Even when asked to sacrifice his only son, Abraham’s love for God did not run dry. Because of Abraham’s obedience, God promised “through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you obeyed me.” (Gen.11:18)

I pray we can encourage one another in our faith as we press on through the difficult seasons of our lives when we feel that it is too late and we are too old. 

God has placed us where we are to reach those who do not yet know Him. Our lives and the lives of our offspring are in the hands of a God who has not forgotten us and who will fulfill His promises in our lives as we press on step by step in obedience.

God is our shield and our very great reward.

Stay the Course…


Sheila 

No comments:

Post a Comment