Thursday, August 3, 2017

Mountains and Valleys


(I posted this a number of years ago with the name "Mountains." I have changed the title because life is both a beautiful and painful balance of mountains and valleys. As Ted Loeper once wrote, "We are all a messed up mixture of glory and grime." I couldn't agree more.)


On the mountaintop I hear Him; His voice echoes in the winds

He gently breezes past me, dancing over rocks and bends.

In the valley He is near me whispering with each weary step;

“Do not be anxious; do not worry, for I know all that lies ahead.

As you labor on this mountain don’t forget to look around,

There is beauty in the journey; there is much joy to be found.

As you stumble over tree roots on the narrow winding trail

Out of breath and out of hope may My joy help you travail.

Dip your hand into the brook where icy mountain waters flow

Drink from the pureness of My beauty and your countenance will glow.

It is My desire to keep you, to refresh and to renew

You can accept Me or reject Me; the choice is up to you.

I will not force Myself upon you; you may walk near or far away

Though my heart longs to embrace you, the choice is yours to stay.

No judgment do I harbor, though your heart is hard as stone

I will tarry on this mountain, you will never be alone.

As you climb above the tree line, your foot unsteady on the shale

Ever pressing through the weather, through the rain, the sleet and hail

I will keep your foothold steady, I will cover and protect

Nothing shall touch My Beloved though you resist, though you deflect.


When at last you reach My mountaintop; My beauty to behold,

I will reveal to you new things, priceless treasures to unfold.

Close your eyes, find My rest, allow My winds to dance upon your face

Learn to trust Me fully, cling tightly to My grace.

The world whispers in your ear, you are forced to make a choice

To listen to the god of lies or to tune your ear to hear My voice.

Draw near to Me, I will draw near to you; seek Me with all your heart and soul.

I shall be found by you when you seek Me; may My love be your greatest goal.


Whether on the mountain top or in the valley low

Both places hold my favor--when you are rooted in Me 

You will flourish and grow.

Take My hand; I’ll guide your steps

For indeed the path is rugged,

I am God, I am Creator—

You are My Beloved.” 


Stay the Course...

Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment