Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Spirit Booster

(Something just happened that I need to write about before too much time elapses and the feelings attached to this moment fade.  Writing in the moment tends to combat the ever-looming need to impress, sound perfect, or have concern for potential judgement.)

There are many industries that have the tendency to kick you in the gut, spin you in circles and then watch as you gasp to catch your breath.  I happen to work in one of those industries.  A short while ago I received a phone call that had every ingredient to ruin this realtor’s day; and at first it did just that.  

Not that I’m “all better” as I pound the keys on my computer a bit harder than necessary; but as I was spinning in circles attempting to wrap my head around my new problem, something beautiful also happened.

I received a letter in the mail from a dear friend.  The meticulously typed envelope held within it a typed letter as well as a cashier’s check.  My husband and I had sent this friend a gift of money not too long ago when she lost her beloved husband. She recently found out that my husband and I are taking a mission’s trip to Liberia next month.  This is how her letter starts:

“I am sending you this money back as a thank you and a spirit booster for your trip to Africa. I understand when you find yourself doing something that is so different and it feels like such a push forward, yet you feel the risk.”  

She goes on to say:

“Your generous gift to me gave me relief that I was going to make it and I was not alone. I have done well and I am continuing to trust God for His provision. I am so proud of you for taking this step. I want you to have the same boost within your spirit. You sowed into my life at a very critical time. I want to return the favor because you are called to do a great thing…to plant the seeds that have come from your personal harvest.  Go to the Harvest!!!”

Upon reading this note, I was torn to pieces. The frustration of my morning became a million miles in the past while the renewed reminder of God’s goodness flooded my heart.

Life will continue to kick each one of us in the gut; that’s not me being negative but rather stating the facts.  Our goal on earth must not be in pursuit of finding the easy button or of obtaining success as defined by the world.  Our goal must instead be to become so full of the Spirit of God that we care more about boosting the spirits of our fellow sojourners than we care about our own personal gain.

There are those around us who need to know that someone cares about them; people who are desperate for a spirit booster and a clear picture of what being a part of the family of God looks like lived out.  I would know. 

Reach out to someone today whom you know could use a boost; you may never know the impact your thoughtfulness invokes.  A sliver of sunshine sown into the life of a person who feels alone and without hope can impact his or her life for eternity.

Caring for and loving one another is the purpose of the church—let’s be the church.

Stay the Course…


Sheila

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Chari!!! Man do I miss you and Bill. I hope you are doing well. Thank you for being a steady rock. Love and hugs!

      Delete