Monday, February 2, 2015

You Watch. You Wait. You'll See.

A number of years ago as I was driving through town I caught the tail end of a radio interview.  I can’t remember much about the interview other than the part where the interviewee shared that God had spoken to her in regard to her life saying, “You watch. You wait. You’ll see.”

Those six words resonated within my own spirit, so I scribbled them on my checkbook divider as I continued to drive.

Each time I opened my checkbook, those six scribbled words jumped out at me.  I wondered what God was up to and why I still felt the power of the words “You watch. You wait. You’ll see.”

I was certain God was about to reveal something big in my tiny world—and He was!

As I watched and waited on the Lord over the years, areas of my life crumbled that at one time had appeared to be unshakeable.  With each step of obedience to what God spoke to my heart in early morning prayer, He changed the entire landscape of my “familiar.” 

Onlookers would NOT have described what was happening as amazing and yet I kept hearing my Father speak to my fearful heart, “You watch. You wait. You’ll see.”

It has only been in recent weeks that I have been re-reminded of those words as another wave of change crashed into my world.  

This time, though, something feels different. I am able to see my circumstances through a different lens.  In utter desperation to walk the path of His choosing; I have refused to believe that I know what is best for me.

I am watching the world around me with new eyes.  Instead of focusing on temporal circumstances, He is teaching me about what is truly important: people.  I am seeing the narrowness of the path and the ease with which truth can be sprinkled with untruth.  I am watching changes that break my heart as the god of this age is subtly stealing the hearts of God’s children with lies, deception, apathy, disregard for holiness and righteousness, and the list goes on.

I am seeing a lost world fill the void within with anything and everything to temporarily relieve the longing that can only be filled with God.  I know, because sometimes I also fill the void with something tangible in an attempt to diminish the deep aching within.

I have felt both frustration and anger as I cry to my Father, “I’m watching and waiting, but I’m only seeing pain, betrayal and loss!”  However, somewhere along the path, in the process of daily surrendering my will to His will, I am realizing something:  God, in His goodness, longs to strip us of what doesn’t matter, not to punish us but rather as a gift so that He can fill us with the only thing that truly matters-- a deeper revelation of Him.

Although God cares about our circumstances; what matters eternally is the state of our hearts and our souls.  

As we wait upon the Lord, He will renew our strength.  He will fill us with His Spirit and we will soar on wings like eagles.  We will run and not grow weary. (Isaiah 40:31)  We are like a city on a hill; we cannot be hidden. (Matthew 5:14).  We are His mighty warriors; not those who shrink back and are destroyed but those who believe and are saved. (Hebrews 10::39)   

Nothing and no one can thwart His plan for our lives.(Isaiah 14:27)

You watch. You wait. You’ll see. 


Stay the Course…


Sheila

No comments:

Post a Comment