Monday, June 2, 2014

Faith

Hebrew 11:8 (NIV) "By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." 


If someone would have told Abraham that his life would be used to bless the entire world, I wonder if he would have believed it.
Abram (later given the name Abraham) was going about his business as a wealthy rancher, when one day God spoke to him saying, “Leave your country, your people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you.” (Gen.12:1)  God promised to bless Abram and to make his descendents into a great nation; but there was one condition.  
Abram had to make a choice.  At the age of seventy-five, he had to decide:  would he obey God, or would he continue doing what he had been doing successfully for many years.  
Unbeknownst to Abram, the hope of the nations rested on his decision of whether or not to obey God.
One decision: worldwide ramifications.
Would walking away from the comforts of home, familiar surroundings, family and friends be rancher’s suicide?  Could he have faith enough to believe God’s promise of greater blessings in the future?  He could not have known that through his family tree, Jesus would be born to save humanity.
Enter faith.
Webster’s dictionary defines faith as, “firm belief in something for which there is no proof.” Faith is not a mystical word, used flippantly when referring to one’s belief; it’s a word with power that can change the lens through which we view life.
The Bible tells us:  “Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.” (Heb.11:1)
Abraham chose to be faithful to God, “By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.  By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country.” (Heb.11:8&9)
Sometimes God calls us away from what is familiar geographically; other times He may call us away from something in our lives that has worked well for a season, as He reveals that His plan and purpose no longer match what has become familiar.
Like Abraham, we must make a choice.
One decision:  possible worldwide ramifications.
Enter faith.

Stay the Course...
Sheila

Today’s Prayer:

“Father, I am no longer willing to live my life in a manner that settles for less than what You desire for me.  Today I ask that You would give me eyes of faith to believe in what I cannot see.  Please train my ears to hear Your voice above all the other voices clamoring for an audience with me.  I choose Your plans for me as I lay down my own plans for my life.  As I read Your Word, I know that Your promises are for me, Your child.  Just as Abraham, against all hope, obeyed You time and again, knowing that You had power to do what You had promised; so will I obey You.  Please help me to not waver through unbelief, but instead, strengthen my faith so that my life may bring glory and honor to You.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment