Tuesday, May 13, 2014

One Thing I Ask of The Lord

Psalm 27:4(NIV) “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.”



In looking through scripture, there is a common thread between some of the men and the women who desired to live their lives to please God.  Regardless the sins that tripped them up; they strived to place their trust and confidence in the One who would remain faithful and never forsake them.
As we take a look at God's servant, David, the comparison of David's humanity can serve as a reflection in the mirror of our own struggles.  
David was a man after God's own heart.(I Sam.13:14) He was divinely chosen and anointed by God, becoming one of the greatest kings of Israel.  (I Sam.16:13)
David’s life was filled with great accomplishments and stained with terrible sins.  It would be fair to say that he had some high highs and some low lows.  Before he became one of the greatest kings, he was known as a fine musician, so reputable that he played before the king.(ISam.16:14-23)  He was also a poet who wrote much of the Psalms, including the 23rd Psalm.  
David went from being the youngest of eight boys, a courageous shepherd boy, to being a prominent king possessing more power than anyone of his day.  In spite of the power and privileges accompanied with being the king, there was only one thing that David’s soul craved.  It was something that no amount of power and no person could satisfy.  David says it well when he says, “One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple.” (Ps.27:4)
Although David’s heart was led astray by sin, the darkness of his sin and the realization of his depravity led him back to the heart of God, “My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek.  Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper.  Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior.” (Ps. 27:8&9)
Just like David, we are God’s servants.  Just like David, we are tempted and sometimes led astray by sin.  We are truly a messed up mixture of glory and grime!
There is nothing and no one that can satisfy the true cravings of our soul except our Lord.

Stay the Course...
Sheila
Today’s Prayer: “Father, I know that only You can satisfy the cravings of my soul.  Nothing else and no one else can be to me what only You can be, my God and King.  I desire to seek You and know You as I am known by You.  I desire to love You and accept the love You have for me.  Please forgive me for the many times I push You away. I cannot fathom a love as great as Yours.  Please stay close to me and do not hide your face from me or turn me away in anger.  I am desperate for You.  My soul will not be satisfied with anything less than all of You.  I will seek You and worship You as I gaze upon Your beauty.  There is nothing else my souls craves, only Your presence.  I love You.  In Jesus name I pray, amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment