Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Voice



The Voice premiered on NBC last week.

I love The Voice.

The blind auditions begin and we are given the backstory of the contestant preparing to take the stage.  Talented singers take the stage to see if their voice alone can turn the chair of one or more of the four judges whose backs have been turned against them.  Singers calm their nerves and belt out the first notes of their songs.  It is only after a judge hits his or her “I Want You” button that their chair is turned around so they can see the person behind the voice for the first time.

This morning as I was singing to God alone in my room, I thought about The Voice.  As I stood in total abandon belting out the words of one of my favorite songs, I closed my eyes and imagined the throne of God.  I thought about the fact that God knows each one of our voices before we open our mouths.  The scripture says, “From the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.” (Matthew 12:34)  Just as the judges on The Voice are able to catch a glimpse of a contestant’s heart without seeing them; each one of us reveals our own hearts by the words that come out of our mouths.

I rejoice when a judge chooses a contestant whom does not bear resemblance of what America has come to determine as “star worthy.”  Years of pain and rejection make the brave walk to center stage as the audience holds their breath in hushed silence waiting to see if redemption will be found within the hearts of the judges. 
Some contestants wear their broken hearts on their sleeves while others wear a brave face preparing for rejection, silently praying for acceptance.

Secretly, we are all wanting the judges to hit their “I Want You” buttons as much for ourselves as for the person sweating it out on stage.  When the judges accept a voice that somehow fits in a body not worthy of its match, we cheer and celebrate.  Our own pains and rejections somehow vindicated through the life of a stranger brave enough to risk it all one more time.

As I open my mouth to sing, I close my eyes and remember the One who risked it all, taking on my pain and rejection.  His sacrifice redeemed a life not worthy of redemption.  

Before we open our mouths to reveal our deepest fears and our greatest hopes, He is eagerly awaiting to hear the voice of His beloved.  

However, it is not our voice that must be heard.  Instead, we must train our ears to hear the only Voice worthy of praise and awe.  

The Judge has hit His “I Want You” button before we took our first breaths.  His deep desire is that we know His voice.  He speaks to us in a whisper; He speaks to us loudly in the middle of our storms.  He speaks to us through people, through His creation and through His Holy Word.  We need only be still and listen. 

I love The Voice.


Stay the Course...

Sheila Cote

No comments:

Post a Comment